Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Blast from the Past #107: Mirage Studios Triceraton iron-on

This drawing was done by me in 1983, and was used as the basis for an iron-on t-shirt transfer. Kevin and I had found this great copy shop in Portsmouth, NH, which had one of the first color copiers. This machine could copy your color artwork onto iron-on transfer material. Of course, we had to try it, and made several different designs.



Successfully getting these transfers to, well, transfer was hit-or-miss. I think we ruined a number of t-shirts. But occasionally they came out well. I think I still have one or two from those days, somewhat worse for wear (literally).

This design was probably done with the thought that it might serve as some kind of advertising for our fledgling business, Mirage Studios. Just how many jobs we thought we might get as the result of one or both of us walking around Dover wearing these t-shirts, I don't know.

Curiously, although this is obviously an ad for Mirage Studios, there is a "© 1983 Peter Laird" line on it. It makes me wonder if this is actually a drawing I had done prior to the forming of Mirage Studios. Or it could just be a mistake. -- PL

9 comments:

  1. I'd love to see some Triceraton T-Shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. -->> ( Me too , Colin ..)

    And what a friendly face.

    Not used to that on the Triceratons.

    ..so guess it's safe to say ( trivial and by a very short time ), Fugitoid and the 'Tons are some of the oldest Mirage characters.. predating the TMNT ?!

    >v<

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used iron-ons last summer at my library for tee's for the kids that finished the summer reading program. They still don't work very well. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. "~ tOkKa said...
    ..so guess it's safe to say ( trivial and by a very short time ), Fugitoid and the 'Tons are some of the oldest Mirage characters.. predating the TMNT ?!"

    I believe you are correct. -- PL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Pete... since I'm not sure how to ask questions without doing so in one of your posts... I was wondering if there are any plans for a new Donatello mini-series a la Leonardo Blind Sight and Raphael Bad Moon Rising?

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Chris said...

    Hey Pete... since I'm not sure how to ask questions without doing so in one of your posts... I was wondering if there are any plans for a new Donatello mini-series a la Leonardo Blind Sight and Raphael Bad Moon Rising?"

    As far as I know, there are no such plans. -- PL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought there was supposed to be one after the Michelangelo mini.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a shame Don get's the short straw once again. :\

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, given we're on Mike's now I was expecting a Don one to round things out next year...

    ReplyDelete